St. Anne's Society
The St. Anne's Society was founded in 1881 by Anna Wick as the St. Anne's Mother's Society. Today the St. Anne's Society functions as the altar society for the St. Mary Parish at High Hill. Members see that fresh flowers are on the altars and articles required to meet the needs of the priests are purchased. They also tend to linens and vestments.
Members of the St. Anne's Society pray the rosary before each Saturday evening mass and at funeral masses/rosaries. They also help with the social following burials. The St. Anne's Society takes care of votives in the church and the sale of religious articles. They have one annual fundraiser, usually a plant sale and country store held in April.
In honor of St. Mary's 150th anniversary (1860-2010), we collected "old family recipes," as well as family histories, stories, and pictures, and compiled them all into one book. We advertised in newspapers, made a lot of phone calls, sent e-mails, etc. and after many months and a lot of cooperation, we are pleased to present this book: "Recipes & Remembrances of High Hill: A Collection of Pictures, Stories and Recipes." The book will be on sale at the souvenir booth at our annual parish picnic in September and will be sold at local businesses, including The Flower Box, The Apothecary, Willie Joe's Processing Plant, Frank's Restaurant, and the Schulenburg Chamber of Commerce.
Cookbook committee members include Maria Bohac, Debra Blansitt, Barbara Cernoch, Joyce Dittrich, Kathy Kutac, Denise Trojacek, and Nancy Winkler. The committee thanks all of the St. Anne's Society members and all contributors to this book.
St. Joseph's Society
The St. Joseph's Society was established in 1879 and is now in its 133rd year of service to the parish. The parish society promoted the founding of the Catholic Sate League in 1900.
In May, The St. Joseph Society helped the St. Anne's Society host the Couples Anniversary Project. Seven couples were honored.
In 2009, the group completed refurbishing (sanding and resealing) the benches and footrests of the bleachers used in the pavillion. The project started in late May and continued through mid-June with volunteers working an hour and a half or so every weekday. Members and parishioners who participated include Kenneth Berger, Elroy Demel, Leo Dittrich Jr., Harlan Hilscher, Otto Kocian, Elmer Meyer, Emil Pauler, Leon Popp, James Prihoda, Francis Ripper, and Willy Schmidt.
On June 5, 2009, the St. Joseph's Society, the Catholic Life Br. #1, and the St. Augustine KJT Society participated in a JOIN HANDS DAY PROJECT at St. Mary. The group repaired, cleaned, and painted buildings, benches, fences, old pavilion poles, removed leaves, and pressure-washed the walks on the south and east side of the hall.
In late June, 2009, the St. Joseph's Society will begin repairing porch benches around the hall, painting old bingo tables used at the auction, and other items that need renovation in preparation for the parish picnic in September.